Union Cross, Halifax
15 Old Market. Originally called The Crosse Inn because it stood opposite the old market cross. Recorded in 1535, this is the oldest inn in Halifax and stands in Old Market on the site of the old town market.
It had one of the largest cock fighting rings in the district, and this continued in an ups...tairs room long after the sport had been banned. Heywood writes of a great cocking at the inn on 31st May 1680, when the inn was kept by Widow Mitchell.
Around 1557, it was owned by Richard Lister.
In 1680, Heywood recorded
... they drank all night and were so high in swearing, ranting at the Crosse that they were heard far in the town. Lord Eglington, a Scotch Lord, stood on horseback at T.C door, swearing, ranting, calling for sack, making people drink, 100 were flocking about them, then rid desperately along the Corn-market and light at Crosse, stayd most of the week – men went home with heavy heads and empty purses
In 1735, it had a bowling green.